Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

On Sunday 2011-10-02 09:24 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I'm somewhat confused, probably due to lacking some crucial bit of
> knowledge.  You still have to do full selector matching and cascading
> on display:none elements in order to tell when they shouldn't be
> display:none anymore, right?  What optimizations surround this that
> make starting animations so hard?

Yes, but you don't have to do any selector matching and cascading on
their descendants.  This means, from a CSS perspective, that the
performance characteristics of a display:none *subtree* are pretty
much like that subtree weren't there (since it's only the cost of a
single element).  Authors do rely on those performance
characteristics.

-David