Re: Paged UIs a la Mobile Navigation

On Nov 24, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:00 AM, HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
>> Still, the UI you're after is similar to what is often used with paged
>> mode in apps: gestures are used to move to the left/right, and
>> transition effect occur when moving.
>
> Speaking of page change gestures in Opera Reader, I found myself
> wishing for a "tap the right edge of the page to move to next page"
> interaction that's available in many paged ebook readers. When holding
> a tablet by the edges, it's easier to tap the edge region of the page
> with a thumb than to swipe.
>
> There's the problem of distinguishing page turn taps from click events
> to the page. But touch UIs allow single-finger scrolling for
> continuous mode, so precedent for disambiguation between single-finger
> site-captured gestures and single-finger browser-captured gestures
> already exists. It's probably possible to make single-finger taps map
> to page turns if there's no page-provided event handler to catch them
> and prevent the default action.
>
> The other feature I felt was missing was an overflow indicator when
> there is a next page. That is, when the user doesn't know ahead of
> time which sites are continuous and which ones are paged, it might not
> always be obvious that the site is paged and has a next page.
>
> In general, I like Opera Reader a lot and can't wait for paged
> overflow to become an unprefixed interoperable part of the Web
> platform.

I agree with all of the above, but I think that will all up to UA or platform, just as scroll bars are. A dog-eared corner could indicate more pages, for instance, to be clicked on or swiped, and some UAs could allow page turning by clicking on an otherwise click/tap-non-listened-to part of the right or left edge regions.