Re: [css3-lists] glyphs in single string

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 01:20:28AM +0100, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> I wasn't proposing to remove the longhand. But now that I think about
> it, we probably don't need it. If you want a marker with space,
> couldn't you do this:
>
>   glyphs: 'a\ b c\ d'; /* two values, both with spaces */

That wouldn't work in the single-string proposals (without changes to
string tokenization values at least), but would work for the identifier-based
proposals (glyphs: a\ b  c\ d; and glyphs: glyphs(a\ b  c\ d)).

Btw, I don't think url(foo) presents a problem for the identifier-based
proposals, beyond the fact that it requires escaping to make it a valid
identifier token.

OTOH, escaping isn't enough to allow counter values with the same
spelling as a keyword like initial.  However, we could make it like
attribute selectors or font-family in the sense of allowing either
identifier or string tokens for counter values, where one would use a
string for values like 'initial'.

pjrm.