Re: [CSS21] Question on "Applies to:" information

Le Mar 8 novembre 2011 14:11, L. David Baron a écrit :
> I think we should remove the "Applies To:" lines from our specs.  I
> think any benefit gained from them is lost by their inaccuracy
> (since, given their length, they are often approximations).  They've
> led to substantial confusion when they've been incorrect (e.g., when
> early drafts of transitions said that the properties apply only to
> inlines and blocks).
>
> In the case where they are intended to add restrictions on how the
> property works that are not already expressed in the prose, we
> should add those restrictions to the prose.

In the case of font-weight supposedly applying to all elements, this has
been stated as such since the initial CSS2 version of 1998.

The thing that would have been useful, helpful and meaningful wrt
font-weight property was to simply state that font-weight applies to all
elements which can render text or render inline text content or whose
content model can have text content.

E.g.:

"
'font-weight'
    Value:  	normal | bold | bolder | lighter | 100 | 200 | 300 | 400 |
500 | 600 | 700 | 800 | 900 | inherit
    Initial:  	normal
    Applies to:  	all elements which can render inline text content
    Inherited:  	yes
    Percentages:  	N/A
    Media:  	visual
    Computed value:  	see text
"

The above would make sense and would be sensible.

> (Alternatively, we could consider making them non-normative.)

In my opinion, anything and everything that is made non-normative is
something that becomes ignored by everyone. 2 synonyms for non-normative
is "not important" and "not read by anyone".

If asked to choose to have non-normative sections and complete removal of
"Applies to:" statements, I would prefer removal of "Applies to:".

Gérard Talbot
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite