Re: Correct media for Aural CSS

Hello Jordan,
technically-speaking, CSS 2.1 "Appendix A. Aural style sheets" [1] is *informative*, whereas the CSS Speech Module Level 3 [2] - aka "CSS 3 Speech" - is destined to become a *normative* specification (I guess this is what you mean by "authoritative").

The former was a kind of stop-gap solution, thus the deprecated "aural" media type and the reserved "speech" placeholder for the next normative specification. The latter is now a W3C "Last Call" Working Draft, and the CSS Working Group is in the process of addressing [3] commenters' feedback. Once (and if) this stage is passed, the next logical step involves work on reference implementations. Hopefully this will take place within the next few months.

There are existing partial implementations [4] of CSS 2.1 aural stylesheets, are you targeting any of them? At any rate, you should check whether the "aural" media type is supported by the user-agent(s) your content targets.

There are notable differences between the feature-set of CSS 2.1 aural stylesheets versus CSS 3 Speech, so future-proofing your stylesheets probably requires considering authoring issues beyond the "aural" / "speech" media types conundrum. Personally, I would design content to perfectly meet my immediate needs (e.g. by targeting an existing CSS 2.1 Aural platform), and I would plan to prepare a transition to CSS 3 Speech once a supporting platform exists.

Hopefully, the reference implementations emerging at "Candidate Recommendation" stage will be available in experimental builds of major web browsers, so that a broad audience can experiment with CSS's speech features.

Let us know how you get on, it's always nice to hear about end-users' work.
Regards, Daniel

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/aural.html

[2]