Re: [css3-writing-modes] Request to publish Last Call Working Draft

On 26/05/2011 3:19 PM, Aharon (Vladimir) Lanin wrote:
> Are the *-start and *-end properties, as implemented in Firefox and WebKit,
> relative to the element's direction or the element's parent's direction?

The parent's or ancestor's direction that establishes a new level of
bidi embedding. These test all set the *-start and *-end values on the
parent or grandparent.

> Please note that the same arguments that fantasai brought up for the
> "CSS2.1/CSS3WM [issue] on nested bidi and breaking inlines across lines" (
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011May/0186.html) applies to
> these properties, in favor of using the element's parent's direction.

Correct. I didn't mention that since Fantasai stated that feedback was
to exclude that issue. What Fantasai noted about 'breaking inlines
across lines' is absolutely correct but I do expect that if all
implementations handled this the same as IE8, IE9 and IE10 does where
margins and borders are visual and not logical and are based on the
parent's or ancestor's direction, then there would be no problem with
using start and end values for logical values.

http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/direction-bidi-ordering-inline.htm

> Also, do Firefox and Webkit handle the conflict between these values and
> *-left and *-right in the same manner?

For the test with direction of parent or ancestor, both Firefox and
WebKit handles start and end values correctly (excluding Safari that has
some bug that Chrome doesn't). I don't understand what you mean by a
conflict since I see no conflict. Left and right values are visual and
start and end values are logical.

> I.e., do they both keep them as
> separate properties until they have to be actually used for some element,
> and then have the same policy re whether it is the logical or the physical
> property that wins?
>
> Aharon

Cascadence is the things that allow something to win. Something like
this but using text-align.

http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/start-and-end-values-text-align2.htm

With this CSS.

[dir="rtl"] .align-start {