Re: Using CSS Transitions/Animations with SVG attributes

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> The biggest problem with SMIL is that it's not CSS.  ^_^  It's a
> different animation model that's only applicable to SVG (plus maybe
> other languages that aren't really part of the web).  It won't ever be
> applicable to HTML.

SMIL can be used to animate CSS properties and there's no reason why it
can't, or shouldn't, be used to animate CSS properties on HTML elements. We
won't want to support SMIL animation of presentational HTML attributes, but
those are deprecated anyway.

 CSS Transitions/Animations are already usable
> across HTML, and on the handful of SVG attributes that are currently
> mapped to properties (the list of which is pretty arbitrary).  It
> appears that CSS T/A is the most reasonable way forward if we want a
> single animation model for the web (which seems like a desirable
> goal).

I disagree. For the use-case of an animated vector image (like those
ubiquitous Flash ads), I do not want to see all the animation stored in a
style sheet. It belongs in the content.

Rob