Re: [CSS21] Issue 192 - floats and shortened line boxes

On 17/03/2011 03:08, Anton Prowse wrote:
> I originally wrote:
>> Issue 2:
>>
>> # However, line boxes created next to the float are shortened to make
>> # room for the margin box of the float. If a shortened line box is too
>> # small to contain any further content, then it is shifted downward
>> # until either it fits or there are no more floats present.
>>
>> Delete "further"
>> (No prior content is referred to.)
>
> Basically, a line box only exists at all next to a float if it contains
> content; and a line box is only shifted downwards if, at its current
> position, it cannot contain the initial piece of content that would be
> flowed into it without overflowing its containing block. The first
> shortened line box associated with a given float always contains the
> content prior to the float without needing to reflow that content into
> multiple lines (this is Issue 3, below); this line box never needs
> shifting downwards.

I suppose I should have been more careful in my explanation here, else
no doubt I'll get picked up on it!  (I /was/ more careful in previous
posts but this one was written in a hurry.)

My last sentence fails to handle the case where the float sits strictly
underneath all content that is prior to it in the document tree.  The
sentence should have said something like:

"The content immediately prior to the float in the document tree either
sits in a normal line box above the float or sits in the first shortened
line box without needing to be reflowed into multiple lines )this is
Issue #3, below).  If the former, it's not relevant to the issue at
hand; and if the latter, the line box never needs shifting downwards."

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net