Re: [css3-lists] [css3-speech] Interaction between list-style-type and speak properties

On 7 Feb 2011, at 21:04, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> But in the case of a public meeting, where we have a legally
>> published
>> agenda, and items are called by the chair by letter, it would be
>> important to me that the rendered speech be:
>>
>> A. First item
>> B. Second item
>> C. Third item
>>
>> and I would definitely *not* want to leave this decision
>> to the user agent.
>
> This is an important case for more than just Speech.  In general,
> sometimes the list marker is important content and shouldn't be
> CSS-controlled.
>
> To solve this, I'm going to propose an 'inline' value for
> list-style-type and a 'marker' value for display, which lets you write
> the marker directly in the content, mark it as a marker, then display
> it like a list item marker.  In this case, Speech should indeed read
> the actual content of the marker.
>
> This proposal will show up in the draft sometime this week as I finish
> out my first draft.

Hi Tab,

I've tried to keep track of changes [1] in the CSS3-Lists editor's
draft [2] since this CSS3-Speech issue was raised. How stable is the
current CSS3-Lists draft specification now ? Any idea of how far it is
likely to get up the W3C recommendation ladder, within the next few
months ? From the perspective of CSS3-Speech, it is preferable to
minimize the dependencies on other parts of CSS3, especially those in
draft stage. I am not totally sure that CSS3-Speech needs new list-
specific properties (read on).

I have been studying the speech-synthesis aspects surrounding lists
and tables more closely since Charles raised the issue. It is clear
that the CSS3-Speech module cannot remain silent (pun intended) about
these special content structures: regardless of whether CSS3-Speech
needs new functionality to allow authors to explicitly control list
and table aural rendering, we should at least describe what is out-of-
scope, and what the basic level of support is (I will propose some
specification language in the editor's draft soon).

Thoughts welcome.
Regards, Dan

PS: how come the CSS3-Lists specification hosted at dev.w3c.org is not
marked as an editor's draft ? (you know, with the red label on the
left of the page, such as [3]) Is this an error with the Makefile, or
the W3C HTML post-processor service ?

[1]
http://www.xanthir.com/feed/public-css-commits/?spec=css3-lists&format=html

[2]