Re: document transition effect

How do you define "if the transition was smoothley enough" ? I don't think
there's a one-fit-all definition.

For example, imagine a Metro-like button whith a 'red' background. If you
want to have a smooth transition to an 'orange' background, you may be
satisfied by a classical color blend. However, you may also want to decide
that changing the background color was a sufficient reason to trigger a
"checkerboard" visual transition. It's the same property transition, but you
just changed the intent. The first time, you wanted to have a transition on
the property (the R,G,B values are interpolated from an initial to a final
value). The second time, you didn't want the R,G,B properties to be
animated. You just have an initial visual, a final visual, and you want to
perform a transition between the two.

Another good example of the is the MVVM paradigm. If you change the content
of an HTML element but not its style, you may want to trigger a visual
transition (for example a wipe transition). Let's say, for example, that
your HTML tag was rendering data about some object and you decide to change
the data object to another one. The style behind the DOM tag didn't change,
but its visual changed since their children (in this case, some of its
textnode grand-children) have changed.

A last example can be found here :
[http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samples/author/filter/CheckerBoard.htm]

For those who don't have IE: you have one (parent) element containing two
child elements. One of them is visible, the other is hidden. When you invert
the style on the parent element, the visible element among the children is
changed (it's like a "tab" control). When the visible element changes, you
may want to trigger a transition. But the style of the master element didn't
change. Only the children' style has been impacted.

The last sample could be implemented easily using the "visual: <identifier>"
property:

.parent > * { display: none }
.parent.firstChild { visual: first; visual-transition: push(left);}
.parent.firstChild :nth-child(1) { display: block; }
.parent.secondChild { visual: second; visual-transition: push(right); }
.parent.secondChild :nth-child(2) { display: block; }

But maybe something simpler exists. How would you that using your proposal ?

Regards,
François