Re: [CSS21] Issue 192 - floats and shortened line boxes

On Wednesday 2011-03-16 09:19 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Friday 2011-03-04 10:42 +0100, Anton Prowse wrote:
> > On 04/03/2011 01:06, Bert Bos wrote:
> > >(Issue 192 is tracked at http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-192)

> > >No, that remains true, even in the presence of floats. It may look as if
> > >there is space between the lines, but actually the space is made up of
> > >empty line boxes. (The space is always an integral number times the
> > >'line-height'.)
> >
> > Woah, that's a completely different model to the one I have always
> > assumed. You're saying that empty line boxes exist, stacked one atop
> > the other.
>
> Yeah, I think we discussed and rejected this option (stacked line
> boxes) when we came up with the text in 9.5 which says explicitly:
>   # If a shortened line box is too small to contain any further
>   # content, then it is shifted downward until either it fits or
>   # there are no more floats present.
>
> (And, yeah, "further content" here should probably just say
> "content", as I think you've pointed out.)

Actually, I'd be a little hesitant to make this change, since saying
"further content" or now "content after the floats" covers up the
ambiguity in float rule #6 that I mentioned in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0358.html

-David