Re: [css3-content] typo: «» became +;

Hi all,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Oli Studholme wrote:
> Finally, I think the example selectors could be improved
>    :lang(no) > q {…}
>    :lang(fr) > * {…}
> The lang attribute is inherited so the child selector is irrelevant,
> and (correct me if I’m wrong) the quotes property is currently only
> used on the <q> element. As the * selector is very expensive as the
> rightmost selector, it would be best not to use it as an example of
> recommended CSS practice. Why not just:
>    :lang(no) {…}
>    :lang(fr) {…}
> or
>    q:lang(no) {…}
>    q:lang(fr) {…}
> ?

Sorry, I should have read:
“Note. If a quotation is in a different language than the surrounding
text, it is customary to quote the text with the quote marks of the
language of the surrounding text, not the language of the quotation
itself.”
— http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-content/#inserting-quotes-with-the-content-proper

However we could still change this:
    :lang(fr) > * {…}
to this:
    :lang(fr) > q {…}
to avoid using the star selector. Is there are reason not to?

Also, I expected that quotation depth increment would be
language-specific, but it isn’t. I can’t find any typographic
references discussing this. So, should this quotation typographically
be:
    Then she said “En Japonais je dirais « 猫は「にゃん」と言う »”.
or:
    Then she said “En Japonais je dirais ‹猫は『にゃん』と言う ›”.

I expected the former, but CSS quotation depth incrementation gives
the latter. Does anyone know if one is more correct than the other?

peace - oli studholme