Re: [css3-images] linear-gradient keywords and angles are opposite

On 06/10/2011 11:44 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>>> Secondly the default for a linear-gradient should be top. The below
>>> gradients would be identical.
>>>
>>> linear-gradient(pink, orange 50px, blue 50px, lime); linear-gradient(top,
>>> pink, orange 50px, blue 50px, lime);
>>
>> Mind elaborating on why you think the default should be top ? Or is it
>> related to the discussion below ?
>
> I would argue in favor of upwards (aka "from bottom", aka old "bottom", aka new "top" ), as the default. The nice thing about
> having a default orientation, besides the fact that you don't have to say it explicitly if that's the one you need, is that
> then, we can define gradients described with an angle as rotate clockwise from the default orientation.
>
> Since we've agreed that 0 degrees gradients are upwards gradients, upwards should be the default.

I disagree. If I just wrote
   linear-gradient(navy, blue, aqua)
I think it would make more sense for the first value to be the top and the
last to be the bottom, just like text content starts at the top and ends
at the bottom.

~fantasai