Re: [css3-flexbox] what's the computed value of "width: flex(...)" in a non-flexbox context?

On Thursday 2011-06-09 21:14 +0000, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> Is there a precedent for value types like that in other places?
>
> For example, in CSS2.1 percent is not applicable to border-width.
> Is setting a percent value making the property invalid or is it
> setting initial value?

It's invalid, but that's not really the example we want, since
that's a value that just isn't allowed for the property.

This is a case of a value that is allowed for the property but
doesn't make sense on some elements.  In the past I think we've been
inconsistent about computed values in those cases, but at least we
do specify in each case.

Though, actually, in 2.1 I think we've mostly moved towards making
the computed values be "as specified" and changing at the handling
or used value level, so perhaps we're better off going in the other
direction and saying the computed value is still the flex()
function, but it just results in the same result as if 'auto' were
the computed value.  (I can't find an example of computed value
mutation of this type in 2.1, though I didn't search exhaustively.)

-David