RE: [css3-speech] reading list-style markers

Daniel Weck wrote on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 1:28 AM
> > On 6 Jun 2011, at 23:06, Belov, Charles wrote:
> >>
> >> Even if CSS does not dictate how to read the different levels, I'd
> >> still like to see something explicitly requiring or at least
> >> recommending that the user-agent allow the user to differentiate
> >> beginnings and endings of levels in some manner.
> >>
> >> "For these list item styles, the user-agent defines
> (possibly based
> >> on user preferences) what equivalent phrase is spoken or
> what audio
> >> cue is played. List items with graphical bullets are therefore
> >> announced appropriately in an implementation- dependent manner."]
> >>
> >> does not appear to reference levels at all.
> >>

> I added:
> "For hierarchical lists structures, it is recommended that
> user-agents announce the nesting depth of list items."
>
> ...which I think is loose-enough to cover various begin/end
> announcement styles for list items.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#lists

It works for me.  Good solution, thanks.

There appears to be a minor typo.  I would have written "For
hierarchical
list structures, it is recommended that user-agents announce the nesting

depth of list items." (singular "list")

I'm thinking this might belong in the preceding paragraph rather than
specifically under disc, circle, square.  Typically, if these are
ordered
lists, change in level may be indicated visually by changing numeric
style.
However, if when changing levels we switch from upper-alpha to
lower-alpha,
or from Arabic to Roman numerals, there would not be any change in how
the
item letters or numbers are read aloud, so some indication of the
nesting
depth would still be needed.

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov