Re: [css3-speech] reading list-style markers

On 2 Jun 2011, at 02:25, fantasai wrote:

> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-speech/#lists
>
> # When no list style is provided, the presentation of list items
> # in the aural dimension is not specified by the CSS Speech module.
>
> This sentence should be deleted. Everything must be specified.

Agreed.

> # disc, circle, square
> #   These list item styles are spoken as the equivalent word for
> #   the shape, in the user's language.
>
> Reading out "square" in front of each list item seems imho ridiculous.
> These should map to a UA-defined (or user-defined) phrase or aural
> icon
> that is appropriate for bulletted lists.

Corrected.

> # decimal
> #
> #   This list item style corresponds to numbers beginning from 1.
> #   These numbers are spoken as-is by the speech synthesizer, in the
> #   user's language.
>
> Remove the first sentence. What number it starts at is out-of-scope
> for this module.

Sure.

> I think all of the numeric styles should be read out as numbers,
> i.e. equivalent to 'decimal'.

Just to double-check: you mean all of "decimal, decimal-leading-zero,
lower-roman, upper-roman", with no perceivable difference in speech
output ?

> I would also allow the UA to insert text before/after the list number
> to indicate the start of the list. For example, a UA may want to read
>
>  1. milk
>  2. eggs
>  3. broccoli
>
> as
>
>  Item One, milk
>  Item Two, eggs
>  Item Three, broccoli
>
> We can allow the author to control that in CSS3 Lists with the
> @counter-style rule, but at the CSS2.1 level it should be UA-defined.

Good suggestion, let's be more explicit about this.

> # lower-latin, lower-alpha, upper-latin, upper-alpha
> #
> #   These list item styles correspond to ASCII alphabetical characters
> #   (e.g. [a, b, c, ... z] or [A, B, C, ... Z]). They are spoken as-is
> #   by the speech synthesizer, using the document language.
> # lower-greek
> #   This list item style correspond to classical Greek characters
> #   (e.g. [α, β, γ, ...]). They are spoken using speech synthesis
> as
> #   their equivalent "alpha", "beta", "gamma" words, in the user's
> language.
>
> Again, the first sentence of these definitions should be removed, as
> defining
> what the list style means is not the job of CSS Speech. Only
> defining how they
> are rendered to speach is. In this case, the definition should be
>
> | lower-latin, lower-alpha, upper-latin, upper-alpha, lower-greek
> |   These styles are spelled out letter-by-letter by the speech
> synthesizer,
> |   using the document language. For example, 'lower-greek' would be
> read
> |   out as "alpha", "beta", "gamma", ... in English, and 'upper-
> latin' would
> |   be read out as /ɑ/, /be/, /se/, ... in French.

That's more concise indeed.

Thanks ! Dan