Re: [css3-grid] new editor's draft available

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> There is a new editor’s draft of the CSS3 Grid Layout module available:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-grid-align/.
>
> Significant updates include:
>
> · Inclusion of an algorithm for sizing the Grid’s columns and rows
>
> · Reducing the functionality of the grid-template property so that
> it’s just a mechanism for naming a region of the Grid
>
>   o Eliminated the ability to select Grid Cells with the grid-cell pseudo
>   (eliminated the pseudo-element selector)
>
>   o Eliminated the ability to style Grid Cells including any ability to
>   control its inner layout with the display or grid-cell-stacking property
>   (eliminated the grid-cell-stacking property)
>
> · Corrected an error in the grammar for grid-columns and grid-rows
> properties
>
> The rationale for the changes related to the grid-template property are
> based on a belief that a more general mechanism would be better suited to
> generating containers that can apply an arbitrary layout to their contents.
> Making such a mechanism layout specific seems like an unnecessary
> restriction and orthogonal to the problem of Grid layout.  Some discussion
> on this topic has already taken place on the mailing list.  We’re looking
> forward to discussing this further in person at the F2F.

It seems like this would make it much harder to use Regions with Grid.
 That seemed to be a pretty kill use-case for ::grid-cell.  Without
that, authors will be forced to put junk elements into their markup
solely so they can position them on the grid and fill them with
regions.  That's very unfortunate, and makes it more difficult to
integrate with Media Queries for responsive page layouts.

That said, if you have a plan to solve this use-case more generally,
I'm okay with that.

~TJ