Re: [CSS3-UI] text-overflow:ellipsis (freshly rewritten/expanded and incorporated into editor's draft)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>wrote:

> I've updated the editor's draft to provided a clearer description of
> how direction/ltr/rtl interact with text-overflow ellipsis (as well as
> provided some simple rendering examples), consistent with current
> Opera and WebKit implementations.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#text-overflow

I suggest not following Opera and Webkit for bidi behavior. This example:
width:60px;">HelloKitty</div>
renders as "...Hello" in Webkit and Opera, which I think is clearly wrong.
IE renders it as "...loKitty", which I think is right.

Also try playing with this example:
border:1px solid black; font-size:16px;
white-space:pre;">HelloKittyוסוכנויות</div>
IE clips visually, Webkit and Opera clip logically. I think the WG
eventually decided that visual clipping was better (and I agree).

The problem here is that there is no real interop for text-overflow with
bidi text. So you have to either spec something that isn't interoperably
implemented, or spec something that leaves bidi behavior undefined. You said
the former wasn't your goal, and the latter seems unpalatable.

Rob