[css3-text] Discussion for punctuation-trim

I had discussion on punctuation-trim with Murakami-san and fantasai, sending them to the ML for the record and for anyone else to jump in.

-----Original Message-----
From: Koji Ishii
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:12 AM
To: MURAKAMI Shinyu
Cc: fantasai (fantasai@inkedblade.net)
Subject: punctuation-trim

Murakami-san,

I think we need to finalize how to incorporate Kida-san's requests. I should have done this earlier and I'm sorry about that.

You might have already knew, currently Kida-san's requests differ from what are written in the spec in:
* Wants to set/reset "start" separately without touching other settings
* Wants to use "allow-end" as initial value, and user can't change it (at least for now)
* Wants to use "adjacent" as initial value, and user can't change it (at least for now)

So the proposal would be:
punctuation-trim-start: none | start -- none as initial
punctuation-trim-end: none | end | allow-end -- allow-end as initial
punctuation-trim-adjacent: none | adjacent -- adjacent as initial punctuation-trim shortcut for the above three

or create three properties without shortcut:
punctuation-trim-start: none | force -- none as initial
punctuation-trim-end: none | force | allow -- allow as initial
punctuation-trim-adjacent: none | force -- force as initial

How does this look to you?

One issue left is making allow-end and adjacent as initial value, which other vendors may or may not like to follow. I haven't talked about this with Elika yet, I guess we could add "auto" as an UA dependent value if that's required by other vendors.

Thoughts?

> punctuation-trim-start: none | start -- none as initial
> punctuation-trim-end: none | end | allow-end -- allow-end as initial
> punctuation-trim-adjacent: none | adjacent -- adjacent as initial
> punctuation-trim shortcut for the above three
>
> or create three properties without shortcut:
> punctuation-trim-start: none | force -- none as initial
> punctuation-trim-end: none | force | allow -- allow as initial
> punctuation-trim-adjacent: none | force -- force as initial
>
> How does this look to you?

I think the former (with shorthand) is better than the latter (without shorthand).

> One issue left is making allow-end and adjacent as initial value, which other vendors may or may not like to follow. I haven't talked about this with Elika yet, I guess we could add "auto" as an UA dependent value if that's required by other vendors.

I think the initial value allow-end/adjacent are better than the UA dependent "auto", and when the punctuation-trim feature is implemented by many UAs, all such UAs should have same good default behavior.

--
MURAKAMI Shinyu
http://twitter.com/MurakamiShinyu