Re: Using cursor property on <area> elements that have a display of 'none'

On Thursday 2011-02-17 10:55 -0500, Michael A. Puls II wrote:
> Yet, it's still possible to interact with the area in the image map
> laid out by that <area> element, which says to me that Opera might
> be interpreting the spec too literally here. Or, it could just be a
> bug.

HTML5 specifies that the 'cursor' property should apply to <area>
elements, but as though the area elements inherit 'cursor' from the
image element to which the image map is applying if 'cursor' is
unspecified.  See
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/rendering.html#image-maps-0 , which says:

  # For the purposes of the rendering, only the 'cursor' property is
  # expected to have any effect on the shape.
  #
  #   Thus, for example, if an area element has a style attribute
  #   that sets the 'cursor' property to 'help', then when the user
  #   designates that shape, the cursor would change to a Help
  #   cursor.
  #
  #   Similarly, if an area element had a CSS rule that set its
  #   'cursor' property to 'inherit' (or if no rule setting the
  #   'cursor' property matched the element at all), the shape's
  #   cursor would be inherited from the img or object element of
  #   the image map, not from the parent of the area element.

This has been implemented in Firefox for years (since before it was
in HTML5).

-David