Re: [css3-lists] scoping and display: list-item

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
> Le 07/12/2011 17:54, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>> Indeed, you're right.  Fixed now - I explain precisely what it means
>> for a list item to "increment the list-item counter".
>

> """
> increment the list item counter ‘list-item’: if the element doesn't
> otherwise have a ‘counter-increment’ declaration, it must act as if
> ‘counter-increment: list-item’ were specified. (This does not affect the
> specified or computed values of the counter properties.)
> """
>
> I’m not sure about other implementation, but for the "not otherwise having a
> declaration" test in WeasyPrint I’d have to record more information from the
> cascade than I currently do.
>
> `counter-increment: none`, `counter-increment: initial` and no declaration
> all result in having a computed value of 'none', which is the only result
> currently kept after the cascade.
>
> I think that this kind of thing in other properties ends up being resolved
> with a 'auto' properties. Here 'auto' would be the same as 'none' except
> when 'display' is 'list-item'

Unfortunately, the counter-* properties come from 2.1, and have had
their definitions and their implementations for some time.  I would
thus prefer not to change the initial value.

However, it makes perfectly good sense, from an implementation
perspective, to have a hidden 'auto' value in the UA stylesheet that
serializes as 'none' when you query for the computed value.  You can't
query for the specified value of a UA stylesheet, so no one would be
able to tell this from the specified behavior.  We only care about the
black-box author-detectable behavior.