Re: `overflow: hidden` on tables for border rounding doesn't seem to be supported by the standard

Le Jeu 1 décembre 2011 12:39, L. David Baron a écrit :
> On Thursday 2011-12-01 15:12 -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>> used
>> >
>> >"Table cells" in this sentence is short for "boxes with `display:
>> >table-cell`".
>> >
>> >What do you mean by "categories"?
>>
>> Right now, answering the question "What elements does the 'overflow'
>> property apply to?" is rocket science.  It says it applies to "block
>> containers", but the text isn't a link, and actually finding the
>> definition of that term, assuming there is one at all, is
>> near-impossible.
>
> I think the definition it's intending to refer to is the second
> sentence of this:
>
>   # Except for table boxes, which are described in a later chapter,
>   # and replaced elements, a block-level box is also a block
>   # container box. A block container box either contains only
>   # block-level boxes or establishes an inline formatting context
>   # and thus contains only inline-level boxes. Not all block
>   # container boxes are block-level boxes: non-replaced inline
>   # blocks and non-replaced table cells are block containers but not
>   # block-level boxes. Block-level boxes that are also block
>   # containers are called block boxes.
>    --http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-boxes
>
> which is admittedly rather imprecise (since it defines the
> characteristics of a block container box rather than defining what
> causes a box to be one), but I think it's pretty clear that tables
> are not block container boxes, and therefore, according to CSS 2.1,
> the 'overflow' property does not apply to tables.
>
> -David

Then, this testcase
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/overflow-applies-to-013.htm
is invalid (only Opera 11.52 really correctly passes such test; Firefox
8.01, Chrome 15.0.874.121, Konqueror 4.7.3, IE9 fail such test) while that
testcase
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/fixed-table-layout-009.htm
requires text assert and code corrections.

overflow applies to inline-table elements though according to
http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-217

I can't help think that it's kinda weird ... overflow applies to
inline-tables but not to fixed-width tables. <shrug>

Gérard Talbot
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite