Re: [cssom-view] Correction and clarification for the coordinate systems of getClientRect/getBoundingClientRect

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
>> That was just an example.
>> My point was that information is lost if you append all the transforms.
>> Better to give back the untransformed bounds and tell the user to do the
>> math himself.
>
> That math is way too hard for the average web developer, if you need to take
> 3D transforms and perspective on ancestor elements into account.
>
> The better solution would be to have getBoundingClientQuads(), and a
> pointInQuad() helper method.

We've had this discussion before.  There's a bunch of information and
variants of rects and quads that *might* be useful to expose.  Someone
needs to sit down and spend the time to figure out *what* to expose
and how to do it all sanely.  I don't think adding things piecemeal
will give us a good result in the end.

In particular, there are a handful of orthogonal options that specify
what information you can get out.  I suspect a solution built around
those would be necessary.