Re: [css3-images] new side-or-corner keywords?

I still don't understand. It seems simple enough on the surface to be able to determine e.g. what the 'start' side is, translate it to a physical side and proceed as normal.

Or do you mean implementation-wise it is hard to track the value throughout the background and into the image?

So far this is only about affecting the direction within the gradient itself, and not about affecting background property values such as 'background-position'. Does that make it harder to track?