Re: [css3-regions] content:flow-from() vs. flow-from

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> As for "position:relative", in this hypothetical situation (of defining display and positioning properties as if they didn't exist yet) I would keep it separate, as it isn't really specifying a position, it is an offset from a position that is determined before it applies.
>
> Perhaps something like this would work better for relative positioning:
>
>        position-offset: <length> <length>?
>
> (the two values are offsets for 'start' and 'before'; somewhat similar to http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#the-float-offset-property)

I agree with François - position:relative was a way to do a
purely-visual translation of an element before transforms existed.
Now that they do exist, if we were doing it over again, we'd just use
transform.

(We'd also need to separate out the creation of positioning
containers, as that's the other useful effect of relpos, and in fact
the major reason I use the value.  That's a pretty easy-to-justify
property, though.)