Re: background-print

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> Also sprach L. David Baron:
>
>  > > If you do it hackily, so that 'background' is only honored if it
>  > > appears in a stylesheet specifically linked with media="print", you're
>  > > introducing novel and imo really ugly behavior into the platform.
>  > > This is akin to Opera's behavior in fullscreen being based off the
>  > > presence or absence of a stylesheet with media=projection in the page,
>  > > which is really nasty.
>  >
>  > Agreed.  I think this sort of behavior makes some sense for an
>  > implementation that assumes content authors never consider its
>  > behavior when developing their content, but is a bad idea as a
>  > standardized behavior or as a behavior to be used by an
>  > implementation that authors are likely to care about, because of the
>  > confusion (about expected results and about the model underlying
>  > them) that such testing would lead to.
>
> When the user presses F11 in Opera, @media projection is honored. If
> no such style sheet exists, @media screen is honored. As such, Opera
> either goes into projection mode or screen mode. I don't see why this
> is so bad -- certainly no worse than not supporting @media projection
> at all?

I suppose it's a matter of taste, but altering behavior based on the
presence or absence of a stylesheet with a particular media value is
just hacky.

I understand the problem, but believe it should have been addressed by
fixing MQ instead so that "screen" can match alongside other types.
MQ is just designed badly here - "screen" is *not* mutually exclusive
with "projection" or "tv" (and maybe even "handheld").

But anyway, this is off-topic.  If you'd like to continue along this
vein, could we branch to a new thread?