Re: [css3-selectors] Comments on PR-css3-selectors-20091215

On 08/09/2011 11:42 PM, Masataka Yakura wrote:
> Hello, CSSWG.
>
> It might be too late to comment on this, but here are my comments on
> the Selectors 3 PR draft.

Hello,
I think we can still take editorial fixes. I just have a few questions..

> 6.3.3. Attribute selectors and namespaces (Overview.html ll.1345-1357)

>     href="http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-namespace/#css-qnames">CSS qualified
>     name</a>: a namespace prefix that has been previously<a
>     href="#nsdecl">declared</a>  may be prepended to the attribute name
>     separated by the namespace separator&quot;vertical bar&quot;
>     (<code>|</code>). In keeping with the Namespaces in the XML
>     recommendation, default namespaces do not apply to attributes, therefore
>     attribute selectors without a namespace component apply only to attributes
>     that have no namespace (equivalent to "<code>|attr</code>"; these
>     attributes are said to be in the "per-element-type namespace partition").
>     An asterisk may be used for the namespace prefix indicating that the
>     selector is to match all attribute names without regard to the attribute's
>     namespace.
>
> In l.1354 it uses a concept "per-element-type namespace partition"
> from the XML Namespaces specification. However, that concept was only
> introduced in the first edition and we don't find it anymore in newer
> editions.

So would the correct fix be to remove
   ; these attributes are said to be in the "per-element-type namespace partition"
from the paragraph, or did you want to replace that with something else?

> 6.4. Class selectors (Overview.html ll.1452-1463)

>     if the UA has namespace-specific knowledge that allows it to determine
>     which attribute is the "class" attribute for the respective namespace. One
>     such example of namespace-specific knowledge is the prose in the
>     specification for a particular namespace (e.g. SVG 1.0<a href="#SVG11"
>     rel=biblioentry>[SVG11]<!--{{SVG11}}--></a>  describes the<a
>     href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-SVG-20010719/styling.html#ClassAttribute">SVG
>     similarly MathML 1.01<a href="#MATHML"
>     rel=biblioentry>[MATHML]<!--{{MATHML}}--></a>  describes the<a
>     href="http://www.w3.org/1999/07/REC-MathML-19990707/chapter2.html#sec2.3.4">MathML
>
> It appears to refer to SVG 1.1 but actually refers to SVG 1.0 so it
> doesn't really make sense to me. Also, inline references to SVG 1.0
> and MathML both point to old version.

Ok, I've updated the SVG links to match and updated the MathML reference
to MathML3.

> 6.6.1.2. The user action pseudo-classes :hover, :active, and :focus
> (Overview.html ll.1645-1656)
>
>    <ul>
>      an element with a pointing device, but does not necessarily activate it.
>      For example, a visual user agent could apply this pseudo-class when the
>      cursor (mouse pointer) hovers over a box generated by the element. User
>      agents not that do not support<a
>      href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html#interactive-media-group">interactive
>      media</a>  do not have to support this pseudo-class. Some conforming user
>      agents that support<a
>      href="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html#interactive-media-group">interactive
>      media</a>  may not be able to support this pseudo-class (e.g., a pen
>      device that does not detect hovering).
>
> Here, these inline references to CSS2 uses REC-CSS2 URLs; however, all
> other ones point to CSS2 using CSS21. Although CSS 2.1 is now a
> Recommendation so it won't cause any problems, still it would be great
> that all the references to CSS2 use the same short name.

Ok, I will update these references. They should be pointing to 2.1. :)

> 7.2. The ::first-letter pseudo-element (ll.2520-2524)

>     in the same element, such as "&lsquo;<code class=css>T" in
>     <code>&lt;p>'&lt;em>T...</code>, the UA may create a
>     <code>::first-letter</code>  pseudo-element from one of the elements, both
>     elements, or simply not create a pseudo-element.</code>
>
> There are an unexpected<code class=css>  after the&lsquo; and</code>
> at the bottom of the paragraph.
>
> Suggested change:

>     in the same element, such as "&lsquo;T" in
>     <code>&lt;p>'&lt;em>T...</code>, the UA may create a
>     <code>::first-letter</code>  pseudo-element from one of the elements, both
>     elements, or simply not create a pseudo-element.

Looks like a post-processor error. Fixed.

Updated editor's draft:
   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors3/

> Congratulations on Selectors 3 becoming Recommendation!

Thanks!

~fantasai