Re: [css3-speech] voice-pitch and voice-pitch-range computed values

On 08/01/2011 10:24 AM, Daniel Weck wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2011, at 01:11, fantasai wrote:
>> So it occurs to me that the offsets, because they're computed differently
>> at different base values, can't be represented just as a tuple. You'd
>> have to represent them as a list, because
>>   medium + 2st + 200Hz + 2st != medium + 4st + 200Hz
>
> Yes, I noticed that as soon as you helped me to properly formulate the "computed" CSS value for pitch properties.
>
>> This seems excessively complicated,
>
> I wasn't sure about that (I have never implemented a CSS processor), but I am glad to hear your thoughts on this.
>
>> so I'm wondering if maybe we should have the computed value be either
>>   * a keyword if only the keyword is specified by itself, otherwise
>>   * a fixed frequency calculated by converting the keyword value (if any)
>>     to a frequency based on the voice-family and applying any other
>>     additions and subtractions
>
> I think this is a reasonable solution.
>
>> This means that if you're using anything other than a bare keyword,
>> the frequency will inherit absolutely through a voice change, but
>> if you're only using a keyword, the frequency will recalculate on
>> a voice change.
>> Would that be sufficient?
>
> I have revised the prose and the examples to reflect this calculation rule.

   # one of the predefined keywords if only the keyword is specified by itself,
   # otherwise a fixed frequency calculated by converting the keyword value
   # (if any) to an absolute value based on the current voice-family and by
   # applying the specified relative offset (if any)

I suggest
   s/predefined/predefined pitch/          /* to be clear 'absolute' isn't included */
   s/fixed frequency/absolute frequency/
   s/an absolute value/a fixed frequency/

Otherwise looks good to me. :)

~fantasai