Re: [css3-lists] [css3-speech] Interaction between list-style-type and speak properties

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> It doesn't seem like the distinction between numeric and alphabetic is
>> important.  They're just alternate ways of representing numbers.
>> We've already made the point that legal documents, where the precise
>> marker is important, should use inline text for their markers (which
>> reminds me that I need to add the
>> display:marker/list-style-type:inline feature).  In other documents,
>> the fact that a list is presented as "A" instead of "1" is mostly
>> irrelevant.  This is styling information, not semantic content.
>
> Yes, it's styling rather than semantic. I'm not arguing semantics.
> I'm arguing that if the document is styled with letters, then an
> aural presentation of it in all likelihood wants to read those letters
> rather than treating it as bullets (<ul>) or numbers (<ol>) depending
> on the markup. Daniel's point is that this capability is not addressed
> in either CSS3 Speech or CSS3 Lists.

And my point is that even if you make the distinction between bullets,
numbers, and alphanumerics, there are still list styles that can't be
slotted into those categories.  Even within a seemingly-simple style
like 'alphabetic', you can get styles that *cannot* be read - for
example, the "go stones" example I have in the spec.