Re: [css3-lists] CJK numbering algorithms

2011/4/20 fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
>> I was told that in informal styles the 0s were sometimes dropped, but
>> it was okay to retain them in the same way as you would in the formal
>> style.
>
> In that case, perhaps cjk-ideographic should drop the 零 so that there
> is more consistency with Japanese. (IIRC the current proposal is to
> map it to trad-chinese-informal.)

I don't think that's a good idea. Assuming that we are talking about
current usage (as opposed to ancient usage which matches Japanese and
which can still be found in some books in print), dropping the zero
has different semantics in Chinese.

For example, in Cantonese-speaking areas (I'm not too sure about
Mandarin), "百一" in colloquial language means "110" instead of "101".
Even if the semantics in Mandarin were the same as Japanese I don't
feel it's a good idea to introduce unnecessary confusion.

--
cheers,
-ambrose