Re: [css3-flexbox] multiline

Flex computation inside line boxes happens exactly at the time
of text-align:justify computation as it is conceptually the same thing.

I am using the following [pseudocode]:

function text_block::layout_width()
{
  foreach(line)  {
    if( line.has_horizontal_flexes )
       free_space  = compute_flexes_in(line, free_space );
    if( free_space > 0 && text_align == justify )
       compute_flex_whitespaces_in(line, free_space);
}

Technically this is close to the case when <input> has width defined
in percents.  I do not see why you need to wrap anything here into
anonymous flexbox items. (Or I do not understand your idea)

Vertical flexes inside line box are computed at the moment of vertical
alignment computation of elements inside line box.

>> This multiline idea you are discussing... is it conceptually different
>> from the above? If no then probably it is better to just allow flex units
>> inside line boxes, no?
>
>No, it's not quite the same thing.  Flexbox layout is a new layout
>mode that does not directly interact with inline layout.

I honestly do not understand what is so special about flexes here.

See: we have line box and so we can flex elements inside it.
Even when there are floats around - you start flex computations
on already calculated line box (with left/right floats shrank its width).

So this:

is exactly the same as this:

right?

Quod erat demonstrandum.

>> What you are going to used for 'row breaks'?
>
>Not entirely sure yet.  I, in an earlier personal draft, proposed
>using the break-before/after properties.

'personal draft' of someone from IE team? As far as I understand
multi-rows are proposed and implemented already in IE10.
But without row breaks. So asking.

I suggest to use 'clear' for that.  'clear' breaks float rows and
so it can be used for exactly the same purposes in flexboxes
(that cannot contain floats directly anyway).

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com