Re: [css3-images] gradient sizing for GC?

On 4/14/11 8:46 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> An image used as the sole value of 'content' should, imo, turn the
> element itself into a replaced element, rather than just filling it
> with an anonymous replaced element.

This seems like magic voodoo.  Should these two:

  1) content: url(foo);
  2) content: url(foo) '';

really render differently?  The justification for that feels awfully thin.

It feels like we're overloading existing syntax to do something new just
because we think we can.  On the other hand, not a single UA handles
'content' like that last I checked, so is it really desirable to define
something that doesn't match reality?

I agree that having a way to make a pseudo-element look like just an
image might be useful, but I'm not convinced that 'content' is the right
mechanism.

-Boris