Re: [css3-images] gradient sizing for GC?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I didn't find any guidance from the specs on image size for gradients when used as GC.  Is there any?
>
> Chrome 10 basically makes them the size of the entire window, which is undesirable IMO.  Firefox, Opera, and Safari don't appear to support it yet.

It's possibly defined in Images, depending on how images referenced in
the 'content' property are defined.  Unfortunately, 'content' is
underdefined here.

An image used alongside other content (like "content: url(foo)
'bar';") should clearly be treated like an anonymous inline replaced
element.  Image Values defines the default object size of replaced
elements to be 300px by 150px, though this may not match reality.

An image used as the sole value of 'content' should, imo, turn the
element itself into a replaced element, rather than just filling it
with an anonymous replaced element.  In that case, the size of the
image is taken from the size of the element, if specified.  If not
specified, presumably it should use the same sizing algorithm with the
300px by 150px default size?

~TJ