RE: [css3-ui][html5] Form control orientation and styling

[Boris Zbarsky:]
> > We (Chrome) also noted this issue and think it's a problem.  Not sure
> > what the right solution would be, unfortunately.  You want the
> > orientation to be separate from the width/height.  You don't want to
> > specify the orientation in the markup (as an attribute in HTML), as a
> > reactive design might change the slider orientation when the layout
> > changes, to better fill the new area.
>
> Or it might not.
>
> The current spec _forces_ the orientation to change.  That doesn't seem
> like a good idea.
>
> An attribute could be modified via script as a last-ditch fallback to deal
> with layout changes (though that might take UAs implementing onresize
> support on random elements).
>
> > The only think I can think of that would work properly is a
> > slider-specific CSS property that specifies the orientation.
>
> How would this be better than an attribute in the markup?  I feel like I'm
> missing something.

Me too. Having a property does not address the 'select sliders/meters with
orientation X' scenario. Which may be useful for default UA stylesheets and
authors alike. If you use a property to orient the slider track then WebKit's
duplicate horizontal/vertical pseudo-elements make sense. Duplicating all
control parts to address orientation feels heavy, author-unfriendly and
all around hard to maintain though.