Re: first IE10 preview available, with multicol, flexbox and grid

[css3-multicol]
[css3-flexbox]
[css3-grid-layout]

What a strange combination ...

css3-grid-layout uses 'fr' units [1] - that is yet another form of flex
units as far as I understand.
css3-flexbox uses flex concept as a value of special property.

[css3-multicol] introduces 'columns' property and
[css3-grid-layout] introduces 'grid-columns' that conceptually define
the same entity but use completely different syntax.

In general all these three modules introduce three different
layout managers sharing same concepts (at least LM as a concept and
flexes in one form or another).

List of new properties that you've added:

[css3-multicol]

break-after
break-before
break-inside
column-count
column-fill
column-gap
column-rule
column-rule-color
column-rule-style
column-rule-width
columns
column-span
column-width

[css3-flexbox]

flex-align
flex-direction
flex-order
flex-pack

[css3-grid-layout]

grid-columns
grid-rows
grid-column
grid-row
grid-cell
grid-cell-stacking
grid-template
grid-column-span
grid-row-span
grid-row-sizing
grid-column-sizing
grid-flow
grid-column-align
grid-row-align
grid-layer

32 in total.

I understand the concept of modularity but can we just
limit module authors by, say, 4 new properties per module and no more?
I suspect that we will have specifications of better quality after that.
If two modules are defining the same concept  then they may
at least share common properties, units, etc.

And yet again about the 'display'. You *can* use multiple columns inside for
example display:table-cell element but suddenly you cannot use flexbox or
grid inside such containers for some reasons.

To be honest I was hoping that IE team is capable to come up with
something more, let's say, harmonious.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-css3-grid-layout-20110407/#fraction-values-fr

--