Re: [cssom] Element size/positioning information

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> (I thought getComputedStyle() was supposed to return the used value of
>> 'width'?  That should be an actual number for every element, right?
>> The only transformation left is the conversion from used->actual,
>> which is just pixel rounding.)
>
> getComputedStyle in Gecko returns CSS2.0 computed style, more or less, which
> is neither "computed style" nor "used style" in terms of CSS 2.1.

Argh, I assumed that it actually returned the used style.  >_<

>> Yeah, but that's a separate and more-or-less irrelevant issue.  If
>> you're asking for the width of non-rendered elements you're doing
>> something wrong.
>
> Welcome to the web!  ;)

Heh, what I meant was that we can decide something arbitrary here.  It
definitely needs to be specified, but the answer doesn't matter for
the purpose of discussing the rest of the API.

>> The problem, of course, is ensuring that the people designing the API
>> have a sufficient understanding of CSS to make the right choices here.
>
> Yes, agreed.  I think we need both sets of people here.

Hmm.  Not sure what to do about this.  I guess I can just announce the
thread and request that people join in?

~TJ