Re: [CSS21] Escaping characters (comment, editorial)

On 7/04/2011 10:03 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Alan Gresley, Thu, 07 Apr 2011 04:48:03 +1000:
>> On 6/04/2011 10:58 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

>> This is not true. There are two definition of a newline. One is the
>> escape newline combo. The other definition of a newline ('U+0085') is
>> 'that which is outside a string'. [ snip ]
>
> The quote which you claim to not be true, begins like this: "First,
> inside a string". So, of course it is not true outside a string.
>
>    [...]
>
> May be this is the most important part of your letter:

I'm sorry about what I have said previously in this thread. I came into
this thread with test cases relating to escapes outside the string where
what I was replying to was about escapes inside the string. I will
re-address you earlier emails later if the need arises.

It is valid to have the below CSS where in an earlier reply to you, I
said the opposite. I was wrong.

     a[class="l\
\
\
\
ong title"] { .... }

>>> The Firefox bug is that it does not discern between inside and outside
>>> a string. There ought to be a test case to catch that.
>>
>> That's what my test cases are showing. Here are some more. These are
>> newlines outside of strings.
>
> So it seems we actually agree, despite your claims about disagreement
> and error. You should file a bug with Mozilla. Great if you do.

I can't do that as yet since I do not understand all test cases or
parsing rules and the test cases that I do have where Firefox errs is
mounting (see below about harness).

>> I saw that message. That is when I stared testing. Did you see this
>> message on this list?
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Mar/0555.html
>
> Yep.
>
>>> ]]
>>>    Note that this means that a "real" space after the escape sequence
>>>    must be doubled.
>>> [[
>
>> Can you point me to this spec please. I can not find those words. I
>> will need to re-test these examples.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#characters

Thank you for this. It has allowed me to fix up many test cases. This
now makes sense to me but in brings up another question. What does an
escape followed by white-space actually do?

     '\ '

I have now put all of my test cases with escapes into a harness (still
working on it) which imports each individual test in a iframe.

http://css-class.com/test/css/parsing/escapes.htm

Some interesting ones.

http://css-class.com/test/css21testsuite/escapes-081.xht

    #\\ { background: red }  /* all browsers parses */

    .\\ { background: red }  /* all browsers parses */

http://css-class.com/test/css21testsuite/escapes-085.xht

    p\0 p { background: red }  /* Opera 11.01 parses */

    div\0 div { background: red }  /* Opera 11.01 parses */

    div *\0 * { background: red }  /* Opera 11.01 parses */

The last one shows that interesting case of an escape followed by the
digit 0 ('\0'). I think Opera has a bug.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/