Re: [css3-transitions] The cubic bezier coordinates shouldn't be clamped to [0, 1]

On Sep 13, 2010, at 11:52 pm, Peter Beverloo wrote:

> Following the current Editor's Draft of the CSS3 Transitions Module,
> the valid Point coordinates of a cubic-bezier timing-function must be
> between zero and one[1]. I'd like to propose lifting this limitation.
>
> The primary use-case for this would be transitions which slightly, in
> case of lengths, overrun the final value. This creates "elastic"
> effects, some of which are visible on this page:
>
> http://jqueryui.com/demos/effect/easing.html
>
> One problem I can see are values which have fixed bounds, such as
> colors. Darker than #000 can't be displayed, neither can lighter than
> #FFF. In these cases it seems best to clamp the value to the
> value-type's upper or lower bound internally.

This has been proposed before:

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Apr/0489.html>
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Jun/0254.html>

The first thread contains some amount of discussion, but concluded
in the fact that we should allow this.

Simon