Re: [css3-values][css3-images] element() function

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> Isn't that what generated content is for?
>
> #foo::after {
>  content: "";
>  position: absolute;
>  width: 100%;
>  height: 100%;
>  top: 100%;
>  left: 0;
>  background: element(#foo);
>  transform: rotateX(180deg);
>  /* Stuff to do masking */
> }
>
> This requires either that #foo is also positioned (can just be
> relpos), or that we have sufficient control over abspos positioning
> roots that we can tell the ::after to just position off of its parent.

One small enhancement that would make that more palatable is to support
"element(self)" as a special value that refers to the element to which the
CSS rule applies. Then a single rule could add reflections to many elements.
(We don't support that yet but it would be easy to do.)

Another possible way of tackling reflections would be to have a dedicated
pseudo-element "::reflection" and property
"reflection-position:bottom|top|left|right". I'm not sure what the right
flexibility/convenience tradeoff is, although I do think that making
reflections fully styleable pseudo-elements is desirable.

Rob