Re: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical properties

From: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:05 PM
To: "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical
properties

> Logical properties were trivial to implement in WebKit.  I know that we
> risk introducing a large number of additional properties if we go this
> route, but the cost of implementing them and maintaining them is extremely
> low.  It took very few lines of code to add all of these logical
> properties to the WebKit engine.  The code to resolve them to physical
> properties is even shared.
>
> I still think they're the best solution that has been proposed for
> producing a layout that can work in both the horizontal and vertical
> directions.  We would probably need to introduce logical properties for
> border-radius, and then decide what happens with overflow, border-spacing,
> and shadows, but that does cover pretty much everything.

What about left, right, top and bottom properties for position:relative |
absolute | fixed?
Are we going to make them logical too? What about things like
background-position?

And yet, what exactly causes padding-after to be mapped to padding-left or
to padding-right?

For example,

p { padding-after:30px; }

with this markup:

what will be the used value of padding-left/right on <p>? And why?

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com