Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

> Shelby Moore wrote:
>
>  > Currently:
>  >
>  > "This property has no effect on elements that do not fit entirely
> within
>  > the multicol element. Also, if a setting on this property pushes the
>  > element outside a multicol element, this property will have no effect."
>  >
>  > Suggest:
>  >
>  > "This property is ignored when applied to elements that would cause
> them
>  > to not fit entirely within the multicol element."
>
> And later:
>
>  > Change that to:
>  >
>  > "When overflow is set to hidden, this property is ignored for elements
>  > that do not, or would cause them to not, fit entirely within the
> multicol
>  > content box."
>  >
>  > I can not understand why you would ignore the setting in the case that
>  > overflow can display the result?
>
> See:
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0492.html

I am thinking that I strongly disagree with the chosen rendering, but I am
open to being swayed by logic:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/att-0492/image001.png

It seems to me that the designer had given a directive to span all
columns, and so they should do that, unless the overflow they cause by
doing so, would be hidden, i.e. {overflow:hidden}.

Is that an arbitrary choice you have made to violate the designer's
directive? For what benefit do you put this tsuris on the designer?

In that example shown, the rendering you showed is IMO wrong in either
case.  If {overflow:hidden} then you shouldn't span ANY columns with
"BBBBBB" because you try to maximize the text the user can see.
Otherwise, you span ALL the columns as per the designer's directive,
because the user has a means (scroll or no scroll if overflow:visible) to
view the overflow.

>  > > Technical terms are marked as <dfn> elements the first time used, and
>  > > explained. Thereafter, their use in the text should conform with the
>  > > definition but they are not called out. This is consistent with the
>  > > other CSS specs.
>  >
>  > I am making a general suggestion for all CSS specs then.
>
> Then you should probably make a separate posting with your suggestion.

Any one can give me a pointer where to publicly post such a general
suggestion for the entire W3C?

Håkon Wium Lie, did you forget to address the other part of my prior post
about "multicol content box" versus "column rows"?

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0564.html

Or was that point not worthy?

P.S. sorry to be a pain, but I think I have some insight to give on
columns given I wrote a popular WYSIWYG document processor in mid-1980s
(WordUp on Atari ST, written almost entirely in 68000 assembly, yuk!) that
did late binding on rendering flow (ala Ventura Publisher) and then
actually ended up working with Lee Lorenzen the creator of Ventura
Publisher on his Altura Mac -> Windows porting layer when I worked Fractal
Design on Painter in early 1990s (the one that came in a paint can and is
Corel Painter now).