RE: Positioned Layout proposal

Allowing for overlays scenarios such as resize icons definitely sounds like an interesting use-case for this. Thanks !

From: ojan@google.com [mailto:ojan@google.com] On Behalf Of Ojan Vafai
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 1:12 PM
To: Sylvain Galineau
Cc: Tab Atkins Jr.; www-style list
Subject: Re: Positioned Layout proposal

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com<mailto:sylvaing@microsoft.com>> wrote:
> [...]
More use-cases would be helpful.

One use-case that's addressed by this proposal is adding UI to rich-text content. For example, adding resize corners to an image. The resize corners should be tied to the location of the image, but not actually in the contentEditable area (e.g. they shouldn't be deletable or show up in innerHTML). As it is now, people use absolute positioning for this, but it's both a lot of code and doesn't work that great (e.g. consider the issues with scrolling).

Ojan