Re: [css3-text] proposed value for text-align: no-justify

2010/10/17 timeless <timeless@gmail.com>:
> It's used. Now, if you're only used to reading Modern Hebrew, you
> might not see it. I'm used to reading Siddurim / the bible.
>
> http://wapedia.mobi/en/Hebrew_punctuation 1. 5. Hyphen and maqaf
>
> http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/k/k0101.htm
> א בראשית, ברא אלוהים, את השמיים, ואת הארץ.  ב והארץ, הייתה תוהו ובוהו,
> וחושך, על-פני תהום; ורוח אלוהים, מרחפת על-פני המים.  ג ויאמר אלוהים,
> יהי אור; ויהי-אור.  ד וירא אלוהים את-האור, כי-טוב; ויבדל אלוהים, בין
> האור ובין החושך.  ה ויקרא אלוהים לאור יום, ולחושך קרא לילה; ויהי-ערב
> ויהי-בוקר, יום אחד.  {פ}
>
> That's 5 by my count in the first five of the bible.

Actually, I don't know modern Hebrew at all, only religious texts.
The makaf in biblical or rabbinic texts is akin to the hyphen in, say,
"text-align" -- it's always printed as part of the word.  It's not
ever used in my experience (which doesn't include newspapers :) ) to
split up long words over multiple lines, where you wouldn't print it
if the word occurred in the middle of the line.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Simon Montagu <smontagu@smontagu.org> wrote:
> That said, I don't agree with Aryeh either: in newspaper articles with
> narrow justified columns hyphenation seems to be quite common. In printed
> books it's much rarer, but it is used now and then.

I'm not surprised.  Is it hyphenated with a makaf (U+5BE), i.e.,
top-aligned on the line instead of center-aligned?  If so, does this
imply CSS hyphenation needs to somehow support different hyphen
characters for different languages?  How would that work?

Anyway, the point is that hyphenation is much more necessary in some
languages than others.  Good to keep in mind.