Re: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

?
From: "Shelby Moore" <shelby@coolpage.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2010 9:30 PM
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

> Seems to that when a container element on the page has overflow that
> scrolls vertically (e.g. <div style='overflow:auto'>), then any contained
> columns should be formatted as if they are paged media with a height equal
> to the clientHeight of container.

> I suppose there are cases where the intention is for the columns to not
> paginate on clientHeight of the vertically scrollable container, and thus
> I suggest you need to declare a new style setting, such as
> paginate-scrollable-contrainer, which defaults to inherit, where the
> document defaults to the whether the media type is paged.

I suspect that you want to see something like this:
http://www.terrainformatica.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/print-preview.png
with only difference that content inside is not scaled but rather has
dynamic page
size determined by the container and paginated using that page size [1].

On the image you see document inside <frame type="pager"> - special
"behavior"
attached to the <frame> that shows its content in print-preview mode.
Decorations of that frame and page boxes inside it is of CSS business.
But navigation, e.g. "next/previous page(s)" is a business of DOM/runtime.

I suspect that this is a better way of having columns in HTML/CSS.
It does not require changes in CSS rather than again flex units and the flow
CSS
property (to replace page boxes) [2].

[1] http://www.terrainformatica.com/2010/02/printing-support-in-sciter/
[2] http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/flex-layout/flex-layout.htm