Re: [CSS21] 9.5.1: placing floats above earlier blocks & line boxes

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:20:21PM +1100, Alan Gresley wrote:
> Peter Moulder wrote:
> [snip]
> >I must say that as someone without much CSS authoring experience, I can't say
> >I like the idea of allowing floats to overlap previous text, and I have
> >difficulty seeing the use cases.  I'd have thought it easy enough to implement
> >rule 6 as written (though I'll grant it nevertheless does have some
> >implementation cost compared to the behaviour I see implemented).
>
> Firstly the floats do not overlap previous text.
> [Rather, the previous text overlaps the floats.]

Sorry for creating misunderstanding: I was intending "overlap" as a symmetric
relation defined solely in terms of x,y axes, and didn't intend to convey
anything about z axis.

In terms of z axis, the float occludes backgrounds & borders of earlier blocks
(and more generally items 1–4 of zindex.html), and is occluded by inline-level
boxes of earlier blocks (and more generally items 6–10 of zindex.html).

> BTW, what do you think having a top
> negative margin does to the layout?

I believe Alan Gresley's point here is that large negative margins do have
their uses, and that these uses may well involve use of floats.

[And no, I can't say I know what those uses are, and would ignorantly think
 that tables or floats would work at least as well...  Hence the two
 disclaimers of ignorance in CSS authoring in my initial message.]

pjrm.