Re: [CSS21] 9.5.1: placing floats above earlier blocks & line boxes

Peter Moulder wrote:
[snip]
> I must say that as someone without much CSS authoring experience, I can't say
> I like the idea of allowing floats to overlap previous text, and I have
> difficulty seeing the use cases.  I'd have thought it easy enough to implement
> rule 6 as written (though I'll grant it nevertheless does have some
> implementation cost compared to the behaviour I see implemented).

Just a quick reply. Firstly the floats do not overlap previous text.
Put a background color on the float and notice that the "Blah" is
layered higher than the float. BTW, what do you think having a top
negative margin does to the layout?

Viewing from an axis of the canvas we have this.

Text

Text
              ^ Float
Text         |

Text (neg mar)

> So aesthetically (though speaking in ignorance of authoring practice) I hope
> that rule 6 stays as written, but there are obviously some good practical
> reasons why we might change rules 5 & 6 to match what seems like interoperably
> implemented behaviour.
>
> pjrm.

Floats rules should not apply when you have a whole segment of a page
overlapping (this is not overflow) another segment due to a negative
margin-top.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/