Re: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

On 12 Oct 2010, at 08:35, Shelby Moore wrote:

>>> OFF TOPIC: afaik the browser will never overlow to the right by
>>> making
>>> more columns than will fit into the width of the container element.
>>> So I
>>> am wondering why you mentioned a need to turn that off, if it never
>>> occurs? Thus I don't (yet) see the point of your second proposal.
>>
>> If you restrict the height of an element, and there are too much
>> content to fit into the columns you specify, the default behaviour is
>> to create new overflow columns to the right of the existing columns.
>> This happens in both WebKit and Gecko.
>
> OFF TOPIC: how can one restrict the height of the content? Are you
> sure?
> Afaik, max-height applies to the height of the element, not the
> height of
> the content.

What I mean is you restrict the height of the element then there will
be text columns to that height (minus any padding), and will create as
many columns as are needed to fit the amount of text needed. If you
specify 3 columns it will create 3 columns to the height and width
specified then create overflow columns to the right of the same width
as the other columns until the content runs out.

--
David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32 / E-Mail/XMPP: dstorey@opera.com / Twitter:
dstorey