Range for values (Was: Re: invalid tests about range of integer values)

Moving over to www-style…

On 05/10/10 17:52, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 2010-10-05 09:02 -0700, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be best if CSS2.1 would define explicitly an allowed range
>> for integer values for properties like counter-reset, counter-increment,
>> z-index, widows, orphans, etc? For negative integer values when
>> applicable. And also define explicitly what should happen when minimum
>> (floor) and maximum (ceiling) values are exceeded?
>
> Maybe.
>
> Or it could define a range that *must* be handled but still allow
> handling of values outside that range.

I'd much rather there was an explicit range defined (as there is for
DOM, through the IDL definition). Opera has had a number of site
compatibility bugs due to our maximum value for z-index being less than
in other browsers, and any sort of implementation defined behaviour like
that will almost inevitably lead to some site relying upon a certain
limit that a certain browser uses.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com>