Re: [css-selectors] Invalid selectors should not cause the entire group to be dropped

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 18:04:00 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I highly doubt we could ever change this behavior at this point.  I
>> could be swayed otherwise by evidence, but this seems like the sort of
>> behavior that would become relied on by sites after so long.
>
> Could you give an example? I do not think it is very likely that sites would
> rely on this. Effectively the site would be relying on the declaration block
> not being applied.

I suspect that sites rely on exactly that.  Like Boris pointed out,
using a prefixed selector functions as a rendering-engine selector,
like:

foo bar, ::-webkit-foo {
  /* These rules are only seen by Webkit */
}

Careful choice of the ::-webkit-foo (there's plenty of them choose
from) will ensure that this hack doesn't have any extra effects on the
page.