Re: [css3-ui] styling of form elements

From: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 4:23 PM
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>; "www-style list"
<www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [css3-ui] styling of form elements

> On Nov 12, 2010, at 3:39 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
>> wrote:
>>> As for my larger issue, what I would expect the UI behavior to be is
>>> that the existing HTML4 code used to produce the existing pop-up-menu,
>>> list-menu and radio-group examples could all have their rendering
>>> overridden such that use of the appearance property would force any of
>>> those three sets of HTML code to render and behave like any of the other
>>> two.  Similarly, the checkbox-group HTML code could be styled using the
>>> appearance property to look like a multi-select version of the list-menu
>>> HTML code and vice-versa.
>>>
>>> I would expect the user agent to respect however I styled it.
>>
>> Don't worry, that's the intention.  Forms are saddled with enormous
>> legacy implications, so this area needs baby steps.  ^_^
>
> There used to be a concern about author-styled HTML that could exceed the
> window boundaries, as pop-up menus do, because if those were fully
> stylable someone could then make one look like an OS window or something,
> and fool you into doing something terrible. I'm not sure how big a worry
> this is any more, when SproutCore, etc. can do a pretty credible job
> anyway, and when video can go full screen.

Usually browser window is open in full. Anyone can create inside something
that looks like standard OS window.
I mean that is pretty easy to do even now. And you will not need any use of
appearance.

Having said that.... I suspect that appearance/window and appearance/desktop
decoration values are well in realm of Dark Force.

And one more: at the moment "The 'appearance' property is shorthand for
'appearance', 'color', 'font', and 'cursor'".
I think that we should add there all background properties too.
For example combination of background-color:white and appearance: button is
somehow doubtful in all modern OSes.

Another example, I am using something like the following to declare element
that looks like as a button:
button
{
   background-size:100% 100%;
   background-color: transparent;
   background-image:url(appearance:button-normal);
   font: system;
   color: windowtext;
}
So ideally appearance should re-define background and border properties too.

And yet we should mention that the appearance is sensitive to UI state
flags, e.g.
button
{
   appearance: button;
}
button:hover
{
   appearance: button;
}
usually produce different property values.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com